Taking your medication is an important part of getting well and staying well. Following these tips will help you manage your medications and your health. Here are some important tips to help you manage the medication you take:
- Ask your doctor what the medication is for and what side effects it might cause.
- Can it make you drowsy?
- Should you avoid other medications or alcohol while taking the medicine
- Let your doctor know of any other medications or supplements you are taking.
- Keep medications in a place in your home that is safe and easy to access.
- Set a plan for when you will take your medication (follow the instructions that your doctor prescribed).
- Set reminders or alarms to let you know when it is time to take your medicine.
- Check the instructions for directions on how to take the medicine.
- How much of the medicine should you take and when should you take it?
- Should your medicine be taken with or without food?
- Take your medicine with you if you are traveling.
- Refill your medicine 2-3 days before you take your last dose in case there are delays in filling your prescription.
- Discuss a plan with your doctor if you want to stop taking your medication.