EFFECTIVE 6/1: Non-Emergency Medical Transportation Will be Provided by Superior HealthPlan's Medical Ride Program
On June 1, 2021, Superior HealthPlan's Medical Ride Program will provide Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) services. Transportation services currently provided by the Health & Human Services Medical Transportation Program (MTP) will continue through May 31, 2021.
What is Superior’s Medical Ride Program?
Starting on June 1, 2021, Superior’s Medical Ride Program will provide transportation to non-emergency health-care appointments for STAR, STAR Health, STAR Kids and STAR+PLUS members* who have no other transportation options. These trips include rides to the doctor, dentist, hospital, pharmacy, and other places you get Medicaid services. These trips do NOT include ambulance trips. Transportation services for Superior members will be provided by SafeRide.
What services will Superior’s Medical Ride Program provide?
There are many types of transportation services offered by Superior’s Medical Ride Program, including:
- Passes or tickets for transportation such as mass transit within and between cities or states, including by rail or bus.
- Commercial airline transportation services.
- Car, van, private bus services, including wheelchair-accessible vehicles, if necessary. These are types of rides where you are picked up and dropped off at the entrance/exit of your home or clinic.
- Mileage reimbursement for an individual transportation participant (ITP) using their own vehicle to get a covered health-care service. The enrolled ITP can be you, a responsible party, a family member, a friend, or a neighbor.
How do I get a ride?
If you need a ride before June 1, 2021, call the numbers below (toll free):
- If you live in the Houston/Beaumont area, call: 1-855-687-4786
- If you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, call: 1-855-687-3255
- If you live anywhere else in Texas, call: 1-877-633-8747 (877-MED-TRIP).
For rides on or after June 1, 2021, Medicaid members can request NEMT services through Superior’s Medical Ride Program provided by SafeRide. If you need a ride, call SafeRide. SafeRide has staff that speak English and Spanish and can also provide interpreter services if you speak another language.
Call SafeRide (effective June 1, 2021)
|Appointments/Call Center:||1-855-932-2318; TTY: 7-1-1|
|Hours:||8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday|
|Where’s My Ride:||1-855-932-2319; TTY: 7-1-1|
|Hours:||5:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday|
You should request your rides as early as possible, and at least two working (business) days before you need the ride. In certain circumstances, you may request a ride with less than two working (business) days’ notice. These circumstances include:
- Getting a ride home after being discharged from a hospital;
- Trips to the pharmacy to pick up a medication or approved medical supplies;
- Trips for urgent conditions. An urgent condition is a health condition that is not an emergency but is severe or painful enough to require treatment within 24 hours.
How do I change or cancel a ride?
To cancel your ride, call SafeRide at 1-855-932-2318 to change or cancel your ride. Please call 24 hours in advance to change or cancel your ride.
*For Superior STAR+PLUS Nursing Facility members, Superior’s Medical Ride Program is available to members that need a ride to their dialysis appointment(s).